Sunday, August 22, 2010

You know it is time to do your laundry when you are wearing your underwear with "mistletoe" on the front.

Ok, there are a lot of things I like in life, and then there are just a few things I despise.

They include, watching the Bacherlorette, going to Home Depot,anything and everything containing Tofu,Barry Manilow, Barry Manilow singing Copacabana, Cats(not the musical, although after seeing it 9 times, I am a little over it) people who wear shirts with Cats on them, people who insist to singing along to songs they do not know the words too, and...well I could go on.

There is however one thing, one  little thing that lets just say I would rather have my teeth drilled, while changing a tire in the middle of the night, while listening to Barry Manilow sing Copa then do..and it my darlings is LAUNDRY!!

Yep, some people find it enjoyable..the sorting, the folding, the scent of fresh fabric softner as it hits your nose...ya not one of them.

It's kinda not my fault though, let me tell you how it all started.

I have a lot of roots in Lousiana..lived there for a good 10 years, and 6 of them were spent living with my grandmother.

Now in Lousiana it is tradition that Monday is "wash day" and that on "wash day" you must make up a big mess of "red beans and rice"
I used to love Monday's, not only cuz my grandmother made the best "red beans" that side of the "Mississippi", but because her maid "Miss Clara" would do my wash for me.

Ok, I know what you are thinking, I was a spoiled little princess, but I loved "Miss Clara" she was the "bombchikeebombbomb" and she taught me the essentials of laundry, and they are.. a. I don't like it, and b..it is much nicer to have somebody do it for you! I also enjoyed the ironing, bed making, and cleaning up the "hair product gone wild" fiasco that took place every  morning before I went to class.

So alas...I guess you could say that I am a "late bloomer" when it comes to the domestics, and it sucks cuz I don't have "Miss Clara", and I also live in Cali now, where they don't care what day you do your wash on, and eating legumes aren't really a big part of it either.

So I gotta do it today, cuz I am down to my emergency pair of last underwear, the ones I only wear on Christmas, and being that it's the middle of August I am not feeling the "Jolly". I usually would say "screw it, and just go to Vicoria's Secret and buy a bunch more,but it's getting a little out of control, and I gotta cut back on the lacy undergarments or I won't be able to make rent this month.

I also hate to do it because I live in an apartment complex and have to share the laundry room with my neighbors, who ironically don't care for me much. See they don't share my love for "Lady Gaga" and "Greenday" at 7.a.m. and have been living me little sticky notes on my door telling me so.

I also don't like folding all my undergarments in front of my downstairs neighbor..he creeps me out the way he stares at me when I fold them. I can't tell whether he likes to see what I wear under my "skinny jeans" or he is planning to steal them and wear them at night?..Ima just sayin!

I have spent the last 45 minutes scrounging for quarters too!! I used to have a jar of them, but one night my friends and I started to play drinking games, and along with lets take a shot everytime Melissa says "OMG" or "Fabulous" we played a game of quarters. I have been dumping out all my purses(65), pockets(2,89096), and "Special K" boxes(1-Very Berry) looking for Mr. Washingtons:)

So now I am about to lug my skivvies down to the "communal abyss of washers, and dryers" with my "Downy soft" under my arm. I use "Downy" because I got tired of buying "Snuggle" and not having a "cute cuddly bear" fly down and help me out..seriously Denied!!

Many Thanks "Miss Clara"..for the many years of doing my wash, and not a day goes by that I don't remember the sweet bliss of not having to do anything with a "lint trap"..a moment of silence for you!!

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya on this topic. You've seen my basement. I know you know what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete